Category Archives: GT6

I’m sill here

The last month or so has seen me tackle the usual GT6 rust areas, namely the A lower posts, sills and floors. This body while not good it wasn’t as bad as my Midget at the floor level. The floor pans were only rotten on the outer edges and the front and rear corners. The inner sill was also only rotten at the lower 30mm or thereabouts. Therefore I decided to take the patching route rather than replace them and this has the advantage of maintaining the door gaps.

The outer sills were removed seeing as they were not doing much and were only pop riveted on. This allowed better visibility for repairing the lower part of the inner sills.

OS sill was pop riveted into place then covered in filler and underseal.
Somewhere there is metal…
Quality patch repair – I doubt that passed a MOT.
And more quality repairs.

On the nearside I repaired the floor first because there was enough of the inner sill to use as a level reference for the floor pieces. On the offside I did the inner sill first because there wasn’t much of the return lip that the floor mates against.

Nearside floor edge and rear repair including new metal on the heel board.
Nearside sill in situ with a few plug welds.
Offside sill fitted.
Checking the door alignment.

Work continues on the offside B post and one small repair is needed to the floor pan then it will be time to turn the attention to the wheel arches.

Screen Surround

After stripping all the interior from the GT6 and carefully cutting out the windscreen it was time to sort out the screen pillars. There was very little strength in the pillars and at some point in the past they gave way (when the front of the roof was cut out?) and the bulkhead sagged under the weight of the doors. First job was to push the bulkhead into position with a 10 tonne ram. There was no evidence that the door hinges had been adjusted so the doors were used as a reference for repositioning the bulkhead . When they could be opened easily and the bottom of the door roughly aligned with the sill it was deemed to be in the right location and some angle iron was welded across the door gap. The passenger side was braced with an adjustable door bar.

Hydraulic ram used to position the bulkhead

The car came with the side pillars and top of a Spitfire screen surround and this was grafted into place one side at a time. The old screen & seal was used to ensure that the opening was the correct size and shape. The internal section of the original top screen surround was retained and the new surround welded to that. Without a roof section there were no reference points so this was the best option.

Offside half of the Spitfire screen pillar tacked into place.
Nearside pillar about to be tacking into place. More fabrication required to fill the voids.

Once the pillars were tacked into place the roof section was repaired using several strips of steel bent, stretched and shrunk to roughly match the desired contour. There was a supplied roof repair section but that just didn’t look like it would fit plus I didn’t fancy the flange along the top of the screen.

Next up was to put some more metal into the upper section of the A pillar. This meant removing the doors so the door alignment was double checked at this point to ensure that the ram & door bar were still holding the bulkhead in the right place.

Just the start, more fabrication required once the door was removed.

Project Lock-down

With the threat of a lock-down looming there was only one thing to do – get another project. I’d been looking for a MGB GT for a few months but nothing nearby really ticked the box, especially for a skinflint like me.

Then I spotted a GT6 re-appear on FB and it was down the road. What’s more, the vendor knew someone who could deliver the car. A more accurate description would be “bits” because when I viewed it the “car” was laid out across a workshop floor.

Within the week the rolling chassis full of bits was delivered and the fun began. For now here are a few photos from delivery day and during the strip down of what was left inside the car.

As delivered..
..and boxes of bits. Probably 85% complete.

Various quality repairs over time.