I’ve been playing with the LC-1 logging and roughly adjusting the mixture based on the traces but with the ECU and LC-1 being separate it is very much a case of adjusting the fuelling a range of cells and hope for an improvement. The improvements are coming and it is starting to pull a lot better. I’m even getting used to the handling characteristics so it is more fun now.
The discovery of the day is that the DTA E48 ECU I have is at V8 of the hardware and this means that it will take a 0-5 volt wideband lambda input and the LC-1 provides this on the #2 analogue output. This afternoon I wired up the LC-1 to the ECU and created a lambda translation table covering the range supported by the ECU. Firing it up and I had a reading in the ECU software. This might help me get the mapping sorted quicker although the DTA will only record the last 3 minutes of logs. I’ve just remembered that MegaLog Viewer should be able to read DTA files so that is something for tomorrow morning.
So with the MOT test booked for Monday the weekend was spent tidying up little bits and piling up a few spares and some tools ready for the first drive to the MOT station. A couple of gallons of fuel were added to take the gauge off the empty line and took it almost to half way.
Monday morning came and this was my first drive ever on a road in a Midget. Prior to that all I’ve done is spin it round on the drive, so this first drive was a bit of an eye opener. I know it is called a Midget but it is small and the drive to the MOT station was thankfully soon over. What I didn’t expect was to turn around and head home so soon. Despite pre-booking it, the MOT man wasn’t in so no chance of a MOT today.
Not one to waste a chance of a run home I hooked up the Innovate LC-1 to the laptop and logged the return journey. I didn’t need the LC-1 to tell me it was lean – the throttle bodies did a good job doing that with all their spitting. Once home a quick +10% fuel hike across the main rev range that I was running in, and a general smoothing of the fuel table ready for Tuesday.
Tuesday’s run to the MOT station was much better and the fuelling appeared far improved and no spitting from the old gal today. The car even felt more solid to drive despite not having done anything other than a quick cut and polish in the morning.
On to the MOT and there was a surprised face when the bonnet was lifted – he wasn’t expecting a 16v engine. The MOT test went fine with the examiner commenting on the solid condition on the Midget. Not surprising really considering the number of panels that were replaced. One headlight needed adjusting but everything else was fine and even the brakes were very evenly balanced side to side.
Leaving the MOT station I switched on the AFR logging and the result was a much richer mix in the 12 – 14:1 range. That will do for the moment as it makes the thing drivable. Once home the headlight surrounds were fitted then it was time to pose…
So just under 3 years and 3 months and the ebay Midget was reborn. Now to make it handle like a Porsche….
It has been less than 2 weeks since the last post and the to-do list has decreased substantially.
The transmission tunnel is all carpeted and the gear lever gaiter and surround fitted. The gaiter is from a MR2 Mk1 and the original Midget surround needed cutting and forming before being welder back together. A quick coat of satin paint and it was screwed into place and looks sort of ok. I will sort out the larger opening at some point but time isn’t on my side so it will do.
Next up was the manifold and heat shield. I’m not overly keen on the idea of exhaust heat wrap due to reports of the corrosion that can occur underneath it. However this car won’t be used heavily so anything that helps keep the temperature down is worth a go. Fitting it is a messy job that I hated doing and little strands of fibre go everywhere. An additional shield was made to try and protect the alternator from the heat and clamped to the front primary. I’m hoping that will be enough to keep it cool on the drive to Silverstone.
This evening saw the engine run up to full temperature for the first time and then waiting for the fan to kick in. I probably worry too much about this sort of thing but I didn’t want to cook the engine so close to MOT time. Anyway the good news is that the fan did kick in eventually and the temperature was back under control in a few seconds so hopefully that little Suzuki Swift radiator will be up to the job.
While running to temperature the mixture setting was monitored and we are running a bit rich with an AFR ratio of 13:1 at idle and around 12:1 with some revs. The throttle pump effect needs a tweak though because it does lean out noticeably as the throttle is opened before the fuelling kicks in.
The MOT is booked for next Monday so just 4 days to play before the maiden road voyage.